headerphoto


Steely Dan: King of the world and Do it again

One of my favorite bands from the early 1970s and yes, I am dating myself, again. As I have been reading about the sham of a treaty that is called the START treaty, I immediately flashed to this song by Steely Dan. This song was part of the band's second album, "Countdown to Ecstasy." released in 1973. This record never did sell like the first album released. This was a song that never received the air time that I thought it deserved. Of course, that is just my opinion. Walter Becker and Donald Fagen were the two main drivers of Steely Dan. The band has developed a large and what I would call cultish following today. I was fortunate enough to see them live on two separate occasions. The band did not like to tour and both Becker and Fagen preferred writing music and laying down tracks in a studio rather than playing on the road. Both were fanatics and perfectionists when in the recording studio.

"King of the world" is self explanatory and this video, while the images are a bit crude, brings it all home. I am sure many of you may recall many of the images from this video. As a finishing number you will find Steely Dan's "Do it again" from their first album "Can't buy a thrill." The video is from a show called 'Midnight Special' that was produced by Burt Sugarman. The video is not quite in sync with the music but close enough. I actually watched this week of the show due to Steely Dan being on there.




Tags: 1972, 1973, Kissinger, Mutually assured Destruction, Nixon, Start treaty, Steely Dan, flashback To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the Patriot's Corner. Thanks!

0 Comments - Share Yours!: